Drosophyllum

From: JWi5770869@aol.com
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 14:51:09 PST

Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 17:51:09 EST
From: JWi5770869@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Drosophyllum

Steve and all,
Glad to hear that you've had some success with germination.
I've planted up five pots with two seeds to a pot but have only had two
sprout.
Contrary to what you noticed, the first (and seemingly most vigourous) died.
Why? It may have been that I kept the compost too wet for too long. I suspect
that the seedling enjoys the damp until it gets to about 1cm in height. After
this its always a good idea to water sparingly.
My own scarification is by filing the seed coat using a needle file or fine
glasspaper.I've found that cutting the case meant that the seed always rotted
(perhaps I was cutting too much off?).
I soaked my seeds in water for 3 days, not for any special reason, its just
that I forgot about them!!!!

>I have yet to scientifically test John Wilden's suggestion of applied
swearing as a germination promoter...;-)

It works! I swear (oops!)
It might have something to do with the old wives tale of talking to plants.
It works not because the plants enjoy the 'vibes' you give off, more to do
with the CO2 in your breath.

John Wilden
Southport
Lancs.