Outdoor bogs

From: Susan Farrington (sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 06:22:25 PST

Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 08:22:25 -0600
From: "Susan Farrington" <sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Outdoor bogs

Like John in Utah, I'm starting an outdoor bog this spring also... I've
had the experience of maintaining and renovating an INDOOR bog (in
a cool conservatory) here at the Missouri Botanical Garden, and now
I want to try one outdoors at home. I'm using three rigid pools with
irregular shapes: the middle one will be a pond, and the other two are
jigsawed on either side of the pond to be bogs. It's been very mild
here, so I got the holes dug this week-end, and installed the pond. I
won't be planting until April, though, as my plants are all greenhouse
tender at this time of year, and I'm sure it will get cold again.

I leveled the pond (or pretty darn close to level), but I've decided to
tilt both the bogs slightly, which should allow me to have a drier upper
end, and a wetter lower end. I guess I'll drill a couple of holes a few
inches from the top on the lower end, to keep it from becoming total
soup if it pours for days. (Which we would love, since it's been DRY
here for the last nine months.) How does this sound to those who
have tried outdoor bogs?
Susan

Susan Farrington
Missouri Botanical Garden