Nepenthes taxonomy part 2

From: Dave Evans (dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2000 - 14:24:47 PST

Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 17:24:47 -0500
From: "Dave Evans" <dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes taxonomy part 2

Hi Jan and Peter,

    I don't how that last mail got out, I deferred it because I
    still had to check for typos and it was incomplete. Peter is
    probably wondering why I mentioned him... Anyway, I have two
    other Nepenthes that have me confused (well, more than two have
    me confused, but I'm only asked about two right now ;). Both
    are supposedly _N. alata._ One is called N.alata 'Boshiana
    Mimic' this one is glabrous. The pitchers are very ventricose
    in the bottom 1/3, the middle is tubular, and the top 1/3 is
    funnel shaped. In fact the bottom ventricose part of these
    pitchers meets the rest of the pitcher at quite an angle because
    it is so swollen. The lid is flat with two veins and there is
    an appendage at the base of the lid. The lid and the opening of
    the pitcher are very round. The second plant, also called _N.
    alata,_ differs from the first by having a dense covering of
    very short white hairs on the pitcher and tendril, the tendril
    insertion on the upper leaves is a bit peltate. The pitcher
    opening is twice as long as wide as is the lid which is bent
    similar to the lids of _N.clipeata_, like an dome. This plant
    is outlined in red and the pitchers are completely blood red,
    there are numerous glands on the pitchers and tendril and they
    are quite obvious, while the first plant has fewer and smaller
    glands. I really doubt these are both the same species. So I
    wonder where Peter got the first one as it reminds me more of
    the description of _N.eustachya_ in that the base is so angular
    and the plant is glabrous. However, on both plants the spur is
    simple. Also Jebb and Cheek mention a sub-peltate leaf tip for
    _N.eustachya_ but it's the furry plant that has this feature,
    not the glabrous one.... It seems the more I try to figure
    these plants out the more confusing it gets. I'm going to try
    to contact the grower I received plant two from, perhaps he can
    provide me the location data. Anyway, here is a link to a photo
    that looks almost exactly like my plant #2, (it shows the long
    openning of the pitcher, you guys sure this plant really belongs
    under _N.alata_?):

http://www.hpl.hp.com/botany/public_html/cp/pictures/nepenthe/0064.htm

[HTML file part2 deleted by listprocessor]