clipeata - seeds

From: Jean-Pierre De Witte (j.dewitte@t-online.de)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2000 - 01:58:45 PST

Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 09:58:45 GMT
From: j.dewitte@t-online.de (Jean-Pierre De Witte)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: clipeata - seeds

I was away all week (Orlando, business only) so I didn't see Cliff's
remarks on
the clipeata hybrids till yesterday. Going back throough my notes of
1955,
there were indeed three kind of seeds. I recorded clipeata, clipeata?
and
(clipeata*emay)*clipeata. I recieved several seedlings of clipeata
from the
owner of the male plant (which is not the Botanical Garden of Munich
by the
way). They are standing in the greenhouse and grow very slowly. The
seeds I got
from Munich were almost exlusively the hybrid form, and they
germinated 100%.
Some of the plants have 50 cm across and with me don't show much of
clipeata.
The fact that they are (clipeata*emay) crossed with clipeata might
explain the
appearance of more specific clipeata features in some of the plants
(where
the clipeata features of the male parent dominate and could create
something
like a clipeata back-cross) and not at all in others.
On another subject: I am closely watching the different nepenthes
seeds I put
out last month. Oldest ones to germinate (after less than 30 days!)
are seeds
from 1992 (I don't have older ones!). I have now 5 species (varying in
origin from 1992 to 1996) that are germinating within what I used for
nepenthes, altough 30m days is short. Regardless of how many more will
germinate, this proves (for me) that the shelf life of nepenthes seeds
is larger
than assumed.
Regards to all,
Jean-Pierre De Witte