Killer Pings!

From: Ivan Snyder (bioexp@juno.com)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 09:17:42 PST

Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 09:17:42 -0800
From: Ivan Snyder <bioexp@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Killer Pings!

Hi Peter and all,

Peter wrote:
>I found Ivan's and Juerg's comments on this butterwort interesting. On
one of
>my trips up to Del Norte County in late summer of 1998, with a group of
CP
>enthusiasts from the Bay Area, I pointed out large flies and carpenter
ants
>caught in the leaves of the plants. There were several, and it was quite

>amazing.

Ivan here,
Amazing, I'll say! I had just sent letters to Juerg Steiger and Paul
Temple telling that I did not believe that ants would be seen captured by
butterworts in nature. These powerful insects I felt would only sleep in
their colony at night and not sit on a butterwort leaf long. Also, these
insects have no wings which make other bugs more easy prey. Guess your
observation blows away my theory, dang!

I just spoke to Ed Read on this. He and Leo Song working together at Cal
State Fullerton are assembling what they expect will be the largest
collection of pings. Leo grows and hybridizes while Ed does tissue
culture. Ed told me this interesting news: As you may have read before,
P. ayautla has sparse retentive glands also on the back surface of the
leaf. Leo has another relative of P. agnata with still more glands. They
just found that one of their hybrids raised invetro has glands as densely
packed on both sides of the leaves, imagine that, ...an ultra-killer
ping! I just got a picture in my head of a hybrid with maybe P. moctezuma
having long upright leaves sticky all-over. This would be quite
spectacular.

Ivan Snyder
Hermosa Beach
California