Re: keeping pings together

From: Susan Farrington (sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 04:55:30 PST

Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 06:55:30 -0600
From: "Susan Farrington" <sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: keeping pings together

Amy,
P. primuliflora should definitely be excluded from the rest of the
pings... it likes it considerably wetter than the rest. I've had good luck
growing it in a sand/peat mix with live sphagnum on top of the media.
I keep it in one of the lower sections of my bog, or plant it in
containers with Sarracenia that like to be pretty wet all summer. The
OTHER pings like it drier and could perhaps all do well together... I
like an equal mix of sand, peat, perlite and long-fibered sphagnum for
these pings: they like a well drained media, and they don't like to SIT
in water at any time of the year. Good luck! (P.lutea can be difficult
and/or shortlived... it does like it drier, though, so perhaps it can live
with the others.)

I apolize for forgetting to send you the Mexican ping that I promised
to send you, but it sounds like you're well outfitted at the moment!
Susan

> Even though all my previous pings died, I succeeded in
> building a new ping collection for myself. As of now I
> have: P. lutea, P. moranensis, P. prumiliflora, P.
> planifolia, P. caudata, P. caudata v. elheseria (did I
> spell that right!?), P. agnata blue flower, P. agnata
> violet flower, and a unknown hybrid.
> My question is this: I like to keep birds of a feather
> together, and instead of having a bunch of individual
> pots, I prefer to keep all my pings together in one
> big tray. But I know different pings have different
> needs. Will my pings survive if I plant all of them in
> a shallow 2" tray with about 1-1.5" peat moss on the
> bottom, and one half to 1" long-fibered sphagnum on
> the top?

Susan Farrington
Missouri Botanical Garden
P.O. Box 299