Sarracenia dormancy

From: bruce dudley (bddudley@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 03:23:44 PST

Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 03:23:44 -0800 (PST)
From: bruce dudley <bddudley@yahoo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sarracenia dormancy

Hi All,
I've been reading the comments about Sarracenia
sprouting flowers and new growth. In the milder
climates such as Florida I'm not surprised that these
plants are blooming about 2-4 weeks before the time
when these plants will bloom up in my part of the
country (NC). Mid and lower FLorida is below most of
these species normal growing range (with the exception
of S. minor which may no longer grow that far
south....) Since the temps here don't remain in the
30's-40's for as many nights during a long enough
period to make a good dormancy period you may
experience a sudden growth every year. I hear people
talk about new growth this early every year! There is
a little more talk this year than in the past. To
keep your plants from sprouting this early you may
want to try a deep pine straw mulch, leave the plants
drier, in a shaded part of the yard, in a fairly windy
area to keep circulation up. I've grown these plants
for nearly 20 years this way. They love it. They
tend to take mild winters (not this one! We were
covered in snow this time around) better when
protected from the sun and occasional warm temps.

Remember, some pitcher plants do begin breaking
dormancy at the end of February and the first week of
March in their most southern ranges anyway. Not to
worry! They'll survive.... they have for a long time
already. You may lose some flowers to a frost, but
the plants will do fine.

As for UK conditions, I can't say. Most Sarracenia
aren't native to that area so growers will have to
play it by ear. When a warm spell is coming on keep
them in a shady area. But, keep them drier! You
don't want them to rot.

Good growing everyone
Bruce