Nepenthes

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Wed Feb 02 2000 - 07:31:47 PST

Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 10:31:47 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes

Some time ago I bought a N. madagascarenis from Home Depot. Having killed
several so far and not having the terrarium ready to go, I put it in a
plastic bag, added water, and let it sit under a fluorescent light for 6
months. I still haven't set up the terrarium yet and checked on the plant
last night. To my amazement, the thing has taken off, is almost bursting
out of the bag, and is producing fairly large pitchers (probably 3 to 4
inches.) Now the largest I had ever produced so far might be the size of
little fingernail. It's been sitting in about a cm of water all this time
(probably another no-no from what I've read.) I will have to transfer it
soon, either to a larger plastic bag or to a terrarium.

I've never had the HD Nepenthes do much for me and had thought that maybe it
was because it was a tc Nepenthes. I also realized that maybe I was just
not dedicated enough to grow Nepenthes. It's funny how one stumbles across
the right method for their growing conditions and husbandry skills. I'm
almost reluctant to change anything but it will certainly outgrow whatever
plastic bag I come up with.

Anyway, it's been fun playing around with trying to find the right
conditions. Glad I stuck with it. I have several other Nepenthes from
Malesnesia growing in the same conditions and all are doing quite well.

David
Atlanta