CPs in Chile

From: Jose Gengler L. (osito@intraweb.cl)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 11:17:17 PST

Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 15:17:17 -0400
From: osito@intraweb.cl (Jose Gengler L.)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: CPs in Chile

Hi!

I don't know if you guys remember my project. I have been trying to
introduce cps in Chile (some that are not found at all in my country,
and others that maybe I would find but at the price of possible
echological damage or very hard trips to the extremes and mountains of
this place of the world).

The paperwork has been so hard (since Chile has very strict
phitosanitary regulations due to the fact that it is isolated as an
island from certain pests), that I have been trying to do this for about
a year or more, and sometimes I lost hope. That's why I lost contact
with the list, but I would very gladly welcome if you write to me so we
can begin to write again.

The species that I try to cultivate mostly from seed to minimize
paperwork include Drosera, vft, Utricularia and Sarracenia, all temlate
climate varieties. I also have Red Dragon vft living plant. I started
using a 120 x 40 x 30 cm terrarium (length, height, depth) under
controlled conditions. Here in Chile now we are in summer, temperatures
in the terrarium rangeing from 20 to 35\272C. Humidity inside it is 40
to 60%. Luminosity is achieved using fluorescent tubes that add up to
about 1500 lumens at the pot surface.

The setup is working just about one week and I already have two Drosera
seedlings, and the vft plant has its first tiny chilean fytraps
developed. No pests are aparent so far.

Material was obtained from Cook's Carnivorous Plants via airmail, very well
packed.

Thanks to all of you that shared knowledge and experience with me all this
time. I am very happy to be aboard again.

Take care,