dormancy problems

From: William Tsun-Yuk Hsu (hsu@tlaloc.sfsu.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 22 2000 - 18:49:29 PST

Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 18:49:29 -0800 (PST)
From: William Tsun-Yuk Hsu <hsu@tlaloc.sfsu.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: dormancy problems

I have a S. purpurea with densely clustered pitchers
which is being kept outside for winter (I live in San
Francisco). When I last checked it, some of the pitchers
are rotting near the base, and there's a powdery green/gray
substance over the crown and the bases of the pitchers.
Is this what's called "powdery mildew"? I've cut off all
the unhealthy pitchers and am wondering what else I
should do. Should I wash the plant thoroughly and repot?
Is it necessary to look into fungicides? Should I try
to keep the plant in a drier place? (It's been raining
on and off.) Thanks...

(I don't see fungus on my other sarrancenias nearby;
maybe the densely clustered purpurea pitchers make for
poor ventilation?)

Bill