U. monanthos germination

From: Ivan Snyder (bioexp@juno.com)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 09:31:06 PST

Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 09:31:06 -0800
From: Ivan Snyder <bioexp@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: U. monanthos germination

Hi John and all,

John Wilden wrote:
>Has anybody had a go at cold-treatment of U. Monanthos seed prior to
sowing
>and was the germination successful or do you specifically need the seed
from
>New Zealand as opposed to Australia.
>Has anybody had any success germinating this Utric and what were your
methods?

I got seed of this species from Brian Quinn in New Zealand. The seed
germinated without cold stratification for me. I simply sowed the seed in
an already established pot of peat/sand next to something else, no
special treatment. I think it took about 3-4 weeks to germinate. The
plant grew well and interestingly made traps on top of the soil which
looked like tiny Cephalotus pitchers. I had read that a particular form
flowers often, I must have gotten another since mine never flowered and
so I gave up on the plant. I have tried germinating seed of D. arcturi
and D. stenopetala, two species which grow along with U. monanthos, and
used every trick I could think of including cold stratification,
freezing, GA3, etc. but had no luck. My guess is these just take a year
to sprout.

Ivan Snyder
Hermosa Beach
California