Germination experiment (Lowrie Drosera seed)

From: Sundew Sundew (sundew@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Jan 08 2000 - 08:29:56 PST

Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 11:29:56 -0500
From: "Sundew Sundew" <sundew@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Germination experiment (Lowrie Drosera seed)

My buddy Richard sent me some seed purchased from Allen Lowrie. I'd
never done business with Lowrie in the past but heard the quantities
were small. Well, they definitely were. I decided that, since I
could easily count the seed in each packet, I would try to share my
germination results with everyone. I typically get what I would
consider excellent germination.

I just planted the following seed from Lowrie, number of seed per
packet:

Heliamphora sp. Neblina, 3 (!!) Drosera kaieteurensis, 15 fulva,
Howard River, 13 broomensis, Lake Campion, 40 kennyalli, Mitchell
Plateau, 12 caduca, pink flower, Mt. Elizabeth, 11 derbyensis,
Prison Tree, 18 columbiana?, Miranto, 30 villosa, It.Peak, 24
glanduligera, 40 caledonica, 9 :(

from other friends:

affinis Namibia, 36 hilaris, 20 arenicola, 34

Seed was planted in small plastic cups filled 1/2 way with straight
peat moss and then topped off with "no damp off" = dead milled
sphagnum. Surface of pots were then lightly misted with distilled
water. Cups sit in about 1 cm of water in a plastic container and
were sealed in a baggie placed in a dimly lit area away close to my
fluorescent light setup. I avoid placing seed pots under bright
conditions because slime mold, algae and moss will sometimes grow
faster than the CP seed germinates. Temperature for the cooler
growers will be 55-75F, temp for the petiolarises, affinis and
caledonica will range from 65-85.

I hope to have an update for everyone within 2 months or so. :)

Happy growing!

Matt

[HTML file part2 deleted by listprocessor]