Nepenthes questions.....

From: William M. Gorum, Jr. (wgorum@softdisk.com)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 21:56:17 PST

Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2000 23:56:17 -0600
From: "William M. Gorum, Jr." <wgorum@softdisk.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes questions.....

Hey Listmembers....

I've got several Nepenthes questions for you. After posting a question
to the list about making cuttings, I decided to try a cutting from my
N. alata and my N. gracilis. The advice I got from the list was
wonderful...now I'm wondering what to expect next....

1. i had enough live sphagnum to wrap the stem of the N. alata, but it
wouldn't fill the pot, so I filled the pot with long fibered sphagnum.
The cutting is about a week old and I left three leaves on it...at the
base of each leaf there seems to be a bud sprouting. I know that Neps
have dormant buds at the base of each leaf.... Is it normal to have
three buds on a cutting? The cutting is growing in the same tank as my
other Neps and they're pitchering like crazy, so I know the growing
conditions are right. Do need to sit the cutting in water or just keep
the moss moist? How wet does it need to be?
2. I read in the SAVAGE GARDEN where N. gracilis can be rooted in
water. I didn't treat the cutting with rooting hormone, and I set it
in a beaker of distilled water, with only part of the stem in the
water. The cutting seems to be fine. Is that a proper procedure? It's
in the same conditons as the above cutting.
3. The leaves on my N. mirabilis have turned red. The plant is
producing pitchers on each new leaf it grows. It's in a 40 gallon long
tank with 4 36" fluorescent lights on it? I'm assuming the red color is
from the light intensity. Am I right?
4. I have a N. truncata and a N. fusca that seem to be growing much
slower than my other Neps. They're pitchering well, but they don't seem
to be acquiring much size....do these two specied just grow slower than
others?

Thanks for the help!!

TTYL and happy growing!!
Will