Cold hardy, heat tolerant Sarracenia

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (bamrice@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 08:21:22 PST

Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 08:21:22 -0800 (PST)
From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Cold hardy, heat tolerant Sarracenia

>year after year. Here at our nursery I've been breeding Sarracenia for
>cold hardiness. One plant we have in stock is S. purpurea ssp. purpurea x
>flava (mature plants for $20). I also have a single large plant of the
>Virginia S.

Hey Peter,

Meanwhile, in the other direction, I've been keeping my eyes open for
plants that survive well in the HEAT! Too many Sarracenia get all ratty
and crispy, when grown by desert dwellers. In the next issue of CPN we
will have a new Sarracenia cultivar that is a good plant for blast furnace
cultivators!

Barry

Dr. Barry A. Meyers-Rice
Carnivorous Plant Newsletter