Re: Cold hardiness

From: John Green (HPJGREEN@ihc.com)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 07:59:11 PST

Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2000 08:59:11 -0700
From: "John Green" <HPJGREEN@ihc.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Cold hardiness

Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions. I hadn't even
considered the length of the growing season with S. leucophylla, but
I'll try it anyway. I'll also take Susan's advice and try to plant the
VFTs a bit higher and drier. Boy! Now I can't wait for spring so I can
get started on it!

> I'm not familiar with Utah winters, but I would think if
> you can keep your plants in a reliable state of dormancy
> it will help.

As for keeping the plants dormant, a thick layer of mulch seems to
help. I didn't remove it last spring till the beginning of March, and
it was still pretty cold at that time. I'll keep the list posted on
what works and what doesn't. I've used regular straw as a mulch the
last two years, but next fall I'm going to try to find enough pine
needles to cover it over (not too many pines in my neighborhood, mostly
spruces).

As for Mike looking for a fungicide, I've used Captan (I think) mixing
it about 1/4 strength, and it seems to work well without any harmful
effects.

Thanks again,
John Green
Salt Lake City, Utah