Re: Cold hardy plants

From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 14:02:11 PST

Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 17:02:11 EST
From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Cold hardy plants

Howdydoo, Peter here at California Carnivores.
    I enjoy reading about John and Rich's plans and experience with
Sarracenia outdoors in cold temperate climates. I keep getting reports from
customers who tell me things I mentioned in The Savage Garden concerning cold
hardiness. It may be the mild winters of late, but there are folks as far
north as Chicago who have been having success with Sarracenia in bog gardens
outdoors. At the last Bay Area meeting, Joe Mazrimas showed outdoor bog
gardens in Vermont that for years have had S. flava and other plants survive
year after year. Here at our nursery I've been breeding Sarracenia for cold
hardiness. One plant we have in stock is S. purpurea ssp. purpurea x flava
(mature plants for $20). I also have a single large plant of the Virginia S.
flava (not for sale yet) that I hope to use for breeding purposes. After I
received this clone, I was amazed at how beautiful it is, and very tall.
It's a very veiny form of S. flava, and should make a nice match for other
cold hardy Sarracenia like S. rubra ssp. jonesii and oreophila. I would like
this year to cross it with the purp purp x flava I mentioned, which is a
purple but small plant.
       Th-th-th-that's all folks!