Re: d. ordensis/pinguicula book

From: Rich Ellis (ricell@juno.com)
Date: Tue Jan 04 2000 - 17:06:48 PST

Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 18:06:48 -0700
From: Rich Ellis <ricell@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: d. ordensis/pinguicula book

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000 16:06:45 "mike wilder" <it_290@hotmail.com> writes:
> 1. i germinated d. ordensis in late spring 1999. the plants are in a
mix of
> 8 parts sand to 2 parts peat. at this time, the rosette is about one
inch in
> diameter, which seems small to me. the temperature never drops below 65
F,
> and tends to be closer to 72. i've tried varying the light intensity
and
> humidity, but the little guys never look overly happy. can anyone who
has
> successfully grown this species from seed share info about compost,
light
> levels, humidity levels, and growth rates? (if you recommend a
different
> compost, please advise whether transplanting plants of this size would
be
> wise.)incidentally, the conditions i've had the ordensis in seem to
suit d.
> paradoxa just fine.

The petiolaris complex to which D. ordensis belongs are happy when it is
really hot. Highs in the 90-100 f range are fine. If you germinated
your seed in the northern hemisphere then the plants may be in a resting
state and you can decrease watering and let the plant rest till spring.
As summer arrives, gradually allow them to get into the 90-100 degree
range during the hottest part of the day.

My D. paradoxa that I originally got from Tom Hayes aka DANGEROUS PLANTS
is an awesome plant that does not seem to care what conditions are like.
I have been exprimenting with growing them in pure peat, 50:50 peat sand,
long fiber sphagnum moss, indoors under lights and outside in the sun.
So far, none of these variables seem to matter and the plants grow and
flower like crazy.

Rich

Boulder, Colorado http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/8564/