Fire ants & Sarracenia

From: Steven Stewart (steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Jan 04 2000 - 05:48:09 PST

Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 08:48:09 -0500
From: Steven Stewart <steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Fire ants & Sarracenia

Here in Central Florida, fire ants have become quite naturalized. I have
seen populations of Sarracenia minor growing in powerline right of way
almost covered to the top in fire ant mounds, with only the hood
protruding. This relationship seems to cause the plants to form tall
robust pitchers, but in times of drought the loose soil formed by the
ants dries to a level deadly to the Sarracenia. I use a product called
Amdro whenever I see any sign of fire ants. If you use it carefully only
on fire ants, the native ants, ant-lions, possibly _Brachynemurus_ sp.
and other ant eaters, can keep fire ant populations almost non existant.
The best overall ant eating plant species I have is Nepenthes
bicalcarata, many ant species love to sacrifice themselves to to the
plants I have.
Take care,
Steven Stewart